Forest Preserve Foundation Internship opportunity
The Forest Preserve Foundation’s story begins with its founding in 2006 and the foresight that tax dollars would be need to be supplemented to fully realize the visionary goals of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. In 2015, the Foundation’s commitment to the Forest Preserves inspired our leaders to embark on a strategic planning process to help guide our growth and increase our impact. Since 2012, the Foundation has granted over $983,000 in grants to support conservation, recreation and education in the Preserves.
Mission and Programs
The Foundation’s mission is to engage in protecting and restoring the treasured natural habitats within the Forest Preserves of Cook County and to enhance the outdoor experiences of all communities. We do this by encouraging and administering private gifts to further the Forest Preserve’s mission and goals.
Our programmatic goal is to increase access to the Preserves for a greater diversity of visitors and to deepen their awareness, appreciation and commitment to the health of the Preserves. Our ongoing initiatives include:
Conservation Corps: Summer and year-round internships for teenagers and young adults to gain paid work experience and exposure to careers in conservation, while advancing restoration goals in the preserves.
Public Art and Nature Play: Creative, educational and recreation areas designed to bring individuals into the preserves for fun and interactive experiences.
Memorial Benches and Trees: Opportunities of those who wish to honor a special person or occasion in the preserves.
Our strategic plan and a video showcasing our work can be found on our homepage: https://www.forestpreservefoundation.org
City residents, youth of color, low income families, immigrant families.
Training experiences available to interns
- Raisers Edge database training
- Fundraising training, phone and mail solicitations
- Grantee site visits, proposal review
- Board of Directors Material Development
- Writing blog posts, newsletters, e-blasts, profiles of grantees’ programs – who are participating in the programmatic initiatives listed above that engage communities in the Forest Preserves via camping, Conservation Corps job training and gateway programming
- Contributing to donor prospect research
- Developing social networking strategy by increasing the Foundation's virtual profile and ultimately raising its visibility
- Staffing the Foundation’s Young Professional Association
- Assisting with data entry in Raiser’s Edge fundraising software
- Board of Directors material development and meeting staffing
To apply send resume and cover letter to:
Shelley A. Davis
Forest Preserve Foundation
69 W. Washington Street, Suite 2040
Chicago, IL 60602